Thursday, July 14, 2016

...more crap



Didn't realize artists doing prints have come back at comic cons.  Here's one I'm finishing for Boston. 


Just need to ink Julie, then it's pretty much done. Note why why there are isz inside the tree..

... but since when has the Maxx *ever* made sense?

.


a panel from another upcoming project..




Yet another Maxx cover for the "100 Maxx Covers" collection.

35 from the original series, and 40 new ones...

that's 75 covers so far...




What i like about them is there's zero pressure.  Pure labors of love, these things are.

Some work, some don't, but that's kinda true of anything we draw isn't it?





Here's that same project i mentioned, it's cool because i get to get my Egret fixation out of my system once and for all. Notice I couldn't resist coloring the flesh around his eye.





Here's an experiment.. not sure if it works, but tried to make use of all these gears lying around the studio.



Now, very few people would notice these added parts unless you looked at the original art in person.


Incidentally, people have asked if i'll be doing any sketches at Boston, i'm afraid my hand's just not up to that stuff anymore.

But i will do a small 'maxx head doodle' for fans.  No charge for signatures either.  

Sorry about the doodles.  Just seems the best way for everyone to at least get *something*.  That's where i am at at this time in my life:  

Older.  Slower.  Rarer.








19 comments:

Daniel Sardella said...

Not sure if I will make it to Boston CC, but if I do, you are the ONLY reason I care about going. Another great post, Sam.

Aaron Desira said...

still got it though sam. love the gear tree stump with the maxx, maybe the maxx is remembering when his claws were forged.

Unknown said...

Oh man, prints available in Boston would be bad-ass!

ideeeyut said...

Would you let us know the print details if you have them? I won't be able to make it but would like to get someone to purchase one for me. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

*Tear*...I'm the guy that posted the Boston Con e-mail reply
"PR Boston Comic Con
Jul 1 (12 days ago)
to me
As far as I know Sam Kieth will not be charging for signatures nor will he be sketching.
July 13, 2016 at 1:58 AM"
found out there's just No Way I can really make it to Boston...my fav city...fav artist...and NOW You've got PRINTS
AND are Nice enough to do DOODLES
maybe someday...maybe...
Keep it up Mr. Kieth, you're STILL the greatest in my humble opinion!

Michael said...

you rock Keith, so keep on doing what you do.

J.D. Clair said...

I'm glad this is a labor of love. I don't know why but I had assumed you didn't like the Maxx. It's a "well" worth revisiting.

FirstName LastName said...

Good stuff an inspiration to all of us sam

FirstName LastName said...

Good stuff an inspiration to all of us sam

raybanoutlet001 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris Parlon said...

Sam, I'm so excited to see you at Boston Comic Con. I'm even more excited to get a head sketch from you. Keep kicking ass.

Tom said...

"100 Maxx Covers", that's a dream come true, excited to hear more about that book!!! Really want that print too. Super inspiring as always, Mr Kieth!

Derek Tyler said...

I actually came here to get an idea of how much your prints would cost at Boston Con. Then saw this post so looks like good timing. Print looks bad ass btw. How much will the prints cost? Love your artwork and your one of my friends favorite artists. He won't be able to attend the show but could give him a heads up on the cost of the print

Allen Leper Hampton said...

Hi Sam!
Ive been a follower since I found the Maxx back in the mid nineties. Your work was one of the main reasons I got into art in my childhood. Twenty years later, I ended up with a masters degree and now I teach art at the University of Tampa in Florida. I'm finally at a point where I can comfortably afford to purchase original artwork, and I am super interested in acquiring a Maxx piece from you, if that's a possibility. If you have available work, or take commissions, please email me and let me know whenever you get a chance. I look forward to hearing from you!
Thank you for all the inspiration,
Allen Leper
cityofleper@gmail.com

glasssculpting said...

im in love with Julie

yoyoy said...

100 Maxx covers sounds Awesome. Will this include the oddball Wizard covers, Comic Talk covers Etc?

juvinwo said...

Just got back from Boston, got to meet Sam and talk with him about his old stuff from the vortex comic and critters and inking Mage, all the way to his new art books coming. So honored to meet you Sam. It was a bucket list item I was able to check off! Thank you so much for talking with me and making me feel like I matter, even if I'm just one fan. He is such a stand-up guy everyone. Sam is a true gentleman. I will cherish this memory until the day I die!!!

Blog FastCare said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for the kindness you showed at Boston Comic Con. I'm disabled and not able to attend, so my friend went for me to get your autograph. I was unable to afford a full sized doodle and when my friend explained that, you did a small one for free for me. I can't tell you how much it meant to me. I love my little Maxx doodle and will be framing it to hang in a place of honor.

Thank you so much.
Heather