Friday, June 19, 2015

"Two Mom's Eye" Paintings



Here's something .... it's a painting i started when i was still trying to break into comics, and have been on and off addling to it for almost every few years now. Part of it have been scattered in the background of many of my comic backgrounds too.

It has nostalgic appeal to me mostly because it's the longest single piece thing i've worked on, consistently.  Kinda where i started - art wise, and will probably end up. Unsure if it will ever be totally finished,

Maybe once i croak -  that'll mean it's done once and for all.

: )



I uses some powered graphite, which creates that weird 'oil vs. water"texture when mixed with ink, so i can't take 'credit' for that effect. Outside of tilting the bristle board from side to side to control it's flow.

But what's kinda cool is i did leave some areas empty, and tried to match the abstract graphite effect, by hand using both a brush and pen, with mixed results.

I called it 'Mom's red eye'. The red eye is part of Nola's personality. That's why Momma Ojo has a red eye too, btw... because of this painting.



A few years back.. I decided a few years back to do another companion piece, called " Mom's pink eye".. which will be from Dana's perspective.  Here's the two of them, side by side.


i really have no end goal here... just seeing where it takes me. I can already tell it's tending towards Sepia Oranges and Yellows.. so it's a much warmer one. Sand,  Acrylic Gel.. and the old wet in wet watercolor trick.. tilting, changing the flow... letting gravity changing the shape.




Here's the pink eye in 'stage one', still pretty raw and naked. Over the years it went through four more stages, with dozens of photos for each stage, which may show up in some future art book... probably Worlds..

in the mean time, this gives you a cool little progress peak.



Here's my defacing my own trout ad.  I dunno why but i enjoy using my own hand made art, then printing it out on paper, then re-painting over it by hand.. Not a radical idea, tons of artists probably do it too.. but i just enjoying using digital ways of distorting my own art even further. 

this is still unfinished so far.



So this is close to the end of the phase three. Maybe i'll throw up the finished piece in another post? Or add a few more in-between phases instead?  But pics online are a lot cheaper than killing trees for some art book, eh?



Thanks for letting me share all this goofy-ness.


- Sam