Sunday, October 7, 2012

Two Kids on a Tree Stump.




What's all this about?




Just another commission that needed finishing up. 



as if you probably already noticed, this is a tree stump.   my usual style of a slightly olive green and brown tree... with orange-ish spotted 'shrooms hugging the edges... 

...this was done for a nice guy who asked me to draw his kids into a similar picture to the one i did below. 



Remember this one? 'Dana and popette', ( which by the way Alex Pardee will be making into a print.. thanks dude! ) 


Back to the new painting: This kids I tend to draw sorta have that Calvin and Hobs feel, ( with those 'little orphan annie' eyes  and use lush brusk strokes ). 


But there's a little of me in here too. Hopefully. As you can see i'm lavishing way to much detail on this stupid tree stump.. enough already - time to move on. 


I'm neglecting the rest of the tree... let alone the kids on top of it! 



This little boy is supposed to be holding a stuffed mouse. 


The little girl will need dark curly hair.  If i wasn't drawing super heros, or weird scribbles in my sketchbooks, i'd probably revert to drawing this kinda stuff. Way$sack was telling me he feels like my stuff has less Testosterone in it than in the old Maxx or Wolvie days. It's probably true. 

Maybe i just made peace with my femme-girly-soft-pink-plush-toy side? 


Whatever it is... I suspect whatever harsh edge of i have left inside me... come out in a different form now... less macheesemo and big guys beating each other up, and more emotional conflicts. 




Okay - one kid down... one to go...  weird seeing an uncolored figure.. sorta like all the life is sapped out of it. 


Funny how color really pumps life into everything, doesn't it?

okay, upside down... so I don't drag my palm across the page and smear it.

Now let's add some trees up top. 


Wet in wet... not too detailed because the focus is the kids and tree stump, *not* the trees. 

Hmm... that mouse he's holding is pretty big...  yikes, hope the mouse doesn't look too much like a rat. 




Oh well. Too late to sweat it now... just need to let the trees dry before shipping it out. 




Also, if your at New York Comic con... my old buds Way$ack, Alex Pardee and Skinner will be there.  Drop by and say "hey" for me, if you happened to run into them. 



Okay, onto Tomorrow's posts now.. 



5 comments:

cody said...

psyched on the print and jealous of this guy who got the commision. don't sweat the mouse, rats have longer noses.

Christine Larsen said...

I am in love with how you draw trees...In fact, I think you draw my favorite trees. Another great post and another beautiful piece. I love the Bill Watterson influence in here.

champloo said...

hey sam. i wrapped a piece of t-shirt around my pen (an stilograph, i dunno how to say it in english) just like you to stop pressing it to much, and it works and feels so cool!

Mightyduke said...

I love this commission & can't wait to buy the print! Awesome work Sam! I have a print I bought off ebay a few years ago of maxx & sara. I love it. If you have any of these lying around and want to get rid of them, I would like to buy some to give to freinds.

Sam Kieth said...

Yeah Cody rats DO have longer snouts - whew! The guy seemed to like it so that's all that mattered.

Christin i get so many tree comments.. i guess i should pump a bunch of these into the art books huh? I mean, i like drawing them... duh - if i didn't i wouldn't keep gravitating towards them.. but surprised and humbled by how people always bring it up.

That and now, ... egrets? : )

YEAH!!!- champloo, wrapping drawing tools in cloth, sponges, whatever's hand... makes such sense, esp. when your hand is tender and worn out.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't developed a line of such gripping tools for artists in art stores, but it's cheaper to just use whatever's lying around the house. Cheap and easy. Should be the title of my autobiography. ( sorry, lame joke )