Sunday, February 3, 2013

Isz Jam and 'Dr. Weird' pages



Here's a Dr. Strange Parody I drew years ago, which was later reprinted in I Before E collection.


...with a generous slathering of blacks.


notice how small and modestly sized my name was back then?


plus my nod to those little 'windows between dimensions' effects Ditko did so wonderfully.


Then while digging through the old stuff, here's something else I forgot all about... back before I broke into the big two... I was found any excuse to work an Isz into short story work I could find. I hit up a series of friends at the time to help draw an Isz story, you know... one guys draws a few pages, hands it to the next guy, make up up the plot based on the last guys part?

I lost steam and got distracted with other things. So it got filed away and forgotten. It's only half done... only up to page 15.  So i figured why not throw it up here?

My old friend Ty Templeton got the ball rolling...  Like the Dr. Weird story above, Ty edited and wrote quite a few small press stories i drew, and has done tons of work for nearly all the bigger publishers too. His book Stig's Inferno was one of my favs.


I'm afraid all I have is these faxes Ty sent me 20 years ago. Apologies if you'll go blind trying to read them. The other parts are easier - promise.



Next Isz three pager (actually 4) was Dave Garcia, another pal from my small press days. He and his wife did the comic Panda Khan which was pretty cool. Here's a cover Dave did i've always loved.


Here's what Dave came up with..





Now's a curious one.. I didn't know the third artists, so I'm guessing Dave knew him and got him to agree to do one? Turns out his name's John Patrick Morgan (or J.P. Morgan), another 80s artists who drew, among other things, a cool book I vaguely remember called Fission Chicken.



Sadly John passed away not long ago.  That's really a shame. So, hats off and a toast to the two pages John did for my isz jam story.




Next up was Tom Stazer who drew a space parody book I loved called 'Spaced'.  Another strip i loved of his was called 'Crazy Bob'. I even painted this back cover for one of his Spaced issues.



Tom's space ship in Spaced always looked like a hair dryer. I like drawing hair dryers for some reason. Uncle Freddy anyone?


Seems Tom handed it off to Mark Martin. I'm a huge fan of thus guy, he did a parody of Dark night called Gnatrat, but my fave was the hard to find book 20 Nude Dancers 20 Poster Book.  Very funny stuff if you can find it.



Here's what Mark added to the Isz saga..



Whoever drew this last two pages is a mystery. The only name i have written down is Don.



Maybe.. Don Simpson? Not sure just who drew these two pages, but here they are for what it's worth..

And with that, our story trails off.  Unfinished.  These hand 'round robbin' stories are hit and miss, and the plot always takes a beating.  Probably not worth publishing, but worth throwing up online. My apologies to all the artists here for taking... what was it? 20 years? 25? (before it seeing the light of day.)
Sheesh. Pretty tacky of me, but at least it's out there now.






14 comments:

Fernando Valencia said...

Speaking of beat up round robbin' plots, whats up with When Chickens Revolt? I really liked the odd story that was brewing there. Oh yea, can we get an update on the Pott-Belly figure? PLEASE!

Arjan said...

This is a really cool peek into your archives Sam! Although all artist have their own style, they all do fit together very well! And I love seeing the actual pages, with the white-out, black marker smudges and pasted on text balloons! :) Brings back a lot of memories as I used to do a black and white comic with some friends of mine, back in high school. and It's fun to see that the "pro's" actually make the same choices when it comes to filling black and white pages. The rasterized fills in Dave Garcia's pages are just excellent!

Why didn't you do any pages for this story?

Rafael Only said...

Uncle Freddy is a really sick person, but it's very easy to love him as he is.
How crazy it is to see an white Isz complaining about life, because there is no popcorn... Great stuff!

Thank you, Sam!

cody said...

really cool

Marcus Collar said...

this post is basically like an issue of "trout-a-verse" magazine...

great stuff ouch, I cannot belive this was never finished WOW it sounds like you have a lot of stuff liek that, thanks for sharing it on the blizzzog

love the Hallows by the way, might have mentioned before but so cool to see some pencil shinning through in issues 1 and 2...

whats up with those new toys you had going?

mucho respecto

Richard Caldwell said...

Actually Sam, I suspect those final pages may well be by longtime Uncle Scrooge artist Don Rosa!

TorgoTom said...

Sam, what fun to see this -- Oh, i have many a Sam Kieth piece in my files. Those were the days. Surely i have my IS pages somewhere??
John P Morgan died?? I had NO idea... his sense of humor was brilliant, and the collaboration we did for Usagi Yojimbo is one of my favorites.
Now that I have been alerted to your blog -- I will pay more attention. I admit to losing track of comics and your work after The Maxx. Stunned at the brilliance of what i have seen here and there since.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

champloo said...

hey Sam, you know that I admire you so much, so i've made a homage to you by making a little Maxx mural on my city. You can see it here http://nicosucio.blogspot.com.ar/2013/02/muralito-de-maxx.html , i hope you do and like it. Now you know that Maxx is being watched by a lot of people that walk around in some neighborhood in a city of Argentina :D

Jeff Lafferty said...

Great post Sam!

Aaron Desira said...

Yo Sam!

I hope you are doing okay buddy... Its cool if you have ad enough blog I will still buy yr great stuff :)..
I thought you might dig this as you have some interest in the old america advertisment culture al la trout elixr. http://www.brucegossett.com/
All the best sam. Hope you are well

aaron

Marcus Collar said...

how did the show go in SF, anyone go? I wish we could have gone!

Coach Factory said...

kate spade handbags, prada outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet online, burberry outlet online, burberry outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet, gucci handbags, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet online, nike shoes, louboutin shoes, red bottom shoes, coach outlet store online, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley vault, coach outlet, prada handbags, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, ray ban outlet, nike free, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, true religion, ray ban sunglasses

Coach Factory said...

abercrombie and fitch, longchamp pas cher, north face, vans pas cher, nike free, nike air max, longchamp, tn pas cher, hollister, air max pas cher, michael kors canada, chaussure louboutin, oakley pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, ray ban uk, louis vuitton uk, hollister, new balance pas cher, lululemon, nike free pas cher, north face pas cher, scarpe hogan, nike trainers, air max, nike roshe, ralph lauren pas cher, barbour, nike huarache, burberry pas cher, guess pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, longchamp, lacoste pas cher, sac michael kors, ralph lauren, louis vuitton pas cher, michael kors uk, nike blazer pas cher, mulberry, nike air force, air jordan, hermes pas cher, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, timberland, sac louis vuitton, ray ban pas cher, converse pas cher, true religion outlet