Monday, September 19, 2011

Burnt Fashion Sandwich: Unseen Legs Crap!

psst - skip down below for my comments on... YOUR comments.. on the last post!


Burnt Fashion Sandwich is directly inspired (ripped off?) from Frank Zappa's Burnt Weenie Sandwich Album, which had various eclectic mixture of Frank's music sandwiched between two 50's Doo-Wop song, starting and ending the album. For this post it's a a Burnt Fashion Sandwich. I call it burnt because my fashion doodles don't always go down smooth, and also because it's usually the stuff between the bread people wanna get too.. now to the 'meat' or the post..

My old buddy and fellow fine artists, Josh Hagler, ( 'fine' both as in swell, and someone who's made the leap into fine art galleries) sent me this piece he painted.. using Legs .


It's mind blowing to know this painting was exhibited in a giant castle called Castello di Carlo V, in Italy, and is in Maimi re-stretched for a solo show Josh is having there.  I was surprised and flattered Josh would use my goofy little Legs critter for his such a piece.

It's not just Josh's skill which astounds me, but his imagination ideas... and for lack of a better word... conceptual work. Check his stuff out here.

And just in case you never saw it... here's a few panels from the comic which Josh painted the Legs from.


As I've mentioned before, Legs was a one-shot comic, and sort of a false start for me. It never got the fare shake I intended it to have.  Everyone told me it seemed like a longer story crammed into 22 pages, and it was. In fact, Legs it was a screenplay first, then as some know... later a limited edition Figure too.

But I never really did it justice. Maybe someday I may get back to it, but until then.. here's a few interesting tidbits.


There was a bigger version of Legs too, a big-ass blue one, called Diablo.. which was nastier than the smaller orange-brown one in the comics. Diablo Legs dated back to the early 1900s. 

The original idea was for a series of kids.. in different areas of the country, finding different versions of the Legs creature... each kid would have personal struggle inside which the creature would somehow help them become aware of. There was a baby legs that a little girl discovers too. Water based swimming  Legs and ones that took flight. 

But I worried tying some childhood personal or collective crap into the Legs Mythology was... just too much? For a simple little idea? Was I over thinking it? 

As usual, it can never be a 'simple' idea with me, can it? : )

So, for now, the Legs Mythos.. sits on a back burner.. as more pressing ideas and stories await instead. Like cute chubby girl stories.

..and  that brings us to the bottom half of our sandwich...




COMMENTS:
Thanks to all the thoughts/comments on a possible chubby-girl Dana Toy figure, and Taboo body parts in general.  Lots of ... ahh... food for thought? (sorry, had too)... Anways, I agree Dr. VeganMike, serious obesity problem vs. acceptance of one's body flaws are always a balancing act. But I'm qualified or interested in the social or health issue, that's (duh!) the individual person's territory.

Megan, Kai, Squeaky, Phonosexual, cody (sorry to lump you all together) thanks for reafirmed I am right to trust my fans, (and my gut) about not under-estimating our appetites for the flawed, quirky and just plain weird - be it in art, toys... or whatever!

Thanks Hazard.  Far as reading more about Dana, I have crap load of unpublished stuff on her, which I'm trying to decide how much to drain out online what to hold back and publish. The sheer number of folks who can check out out on line will be greater, but I still have affection for printed books too. So, probably a little of both?

Andy, cool you dig my realistic ( do i have a 'realistic' guy? maybe you kinda mean buffed looking?) look hot too.  I think when we're all teens, body image looms, no matter what we look like. Proud if that small scene with Julie's scale and tummy struck a cord. Again, weird we don't see more of it on TV, outside of diet or chocolate ads.


11 comments:

VASSILIS GOGTZILAS said...

...i 'm speachless...!!!


(i remember when i was very young reading the letters pages of the maxx and being so shy to send you a letter... writing and writing and then never sending them... but this blog reminds me of the old days... and i 'll not leave this opportunity...: )


vassilis

andrea k. said...

I fell in love with Maxx back in 1995, not just because of the depth of the narrative but because of Julie and Sarah. They truly are gorgeous creatures and I'm glad they don't fit into the standard female role (madonna or whore) because it gives them a sense of realism I can relate to. Too often I've found that women are written as either a boring supporting personality or a "warrior ruined by an experience". Can't we be both or neither? I hope to meet you some day because I really admire your work and it inspires me to stay creative and keep at it.

Andy said...

I liked Legs. It was a simple concept and it worked, and I think the other Legs-es could still have their stories told.

As for the whole "realism-being-hot" thing... I think at the time I was reading all the super-hero books with the idealized forms etc. and, they do perpetuate some body image issues, at least as much as the readers let them, and teenage me definitely did. So when I would read Maxx or your other stuff it was cool to see bodies that were drawn other-than-perfect and it made the stories more tangible, so to speak. I think there weren't enough comics with that kind of content at the time. Well, even today there still aren't a ton. So I would say a guy like Tim Foster is hot because he's normal looking but not super-idealized.

Not that I don't love a superheroes too - but I mean, your version of Wolverine is awesome because he's clearly a guy who can win a fight, but also has had a few beers. It's not the usual sleek looking guy in the yellow spandex. So that little extra messy feel only adds to the grittiness. It totally works. Which I think is why your art resonates.

Okay, done gushing. Looking forward to more posts!

Elliott Lutton said...

I got my mother into your comics partly because of your 'realistic' portrayal of women. I admire your work and love most of all your independent work. Your stories are so engaging and wierd (I spelled weird wrong, i before e, haha) that they stand out in front of other stories and artists out there. Cannot wait for your art book and to find out what this whole Chickens Revolt thing is all about!!!

-Elliott

cody said...

It is cool your art is so versatile, I got in to your work for the art now that I'm older it is cool to get the story part or my interpretation, it is also cool my girl didnt get why I was in to some comics so I got her Maxx, 4 girls, zero girl and the magic trout books, watchmen and she loved them because she didn't know that they had actual stories that are deep. Love the statue.

Elliott Lutton said...

I just finished watching a movie entitled "The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle." It was a very bizarre, strange comedy that has some pretty cool visuals and reminded me a lot of Kieth's work (especially Ojo.) It is on Netflix Instant Queue.

Frank Patriot said...

Seeing your fashion sketches causes me to have to ask you if you are a fan of Project Runway. Everytime I watch that show, I have to grab a sketchbook.

Edmund said...

Sorry to be off topic, but i read in your "F.I.Q" that

"for the few fans out there (and we may be talking only a couple) who want an Asian woman or tree painting, then I'll be asking a bigger price"

How do these fans go about contacting someone about these paintings :)?

Coach Factory said...

kate spade handbags, prada outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet online, burberry outlet online, burberry outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet, gucci handbags, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet online, nike shoes, louboutin shoes, red bottom shoes, coach outlet store online, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley vault, coach outlet, prada handbags, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, ray ban outlet, nike free, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, true religion, ray ban sunglasses

Coach Factory said...

abercrombie and fitch, longchamp pas cher, north face, vans pas cher, nike free, nike air max, longchamp, tn pas cher, hollister, air max pas cher, michael kors canada, chaussure louboutin, oakley pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, ray ban uk, louis vuitton uk, hollister, new balance pas cher, lululemon, nike free pas cher, north face pas cher, scarpe hogan, nike trainers, air max, nike roshe, ralph lauren pas cher, barbour, nike huarache, burberry pas cher, guess pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, longchamp, lacoste pas cher, sac michael kors, ralph lauren, louis vuitton pas cher, michael kors uk, nike blazer pas cher, mulberry, nike air force, air jordan, hermes pas cher, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, timberland, sac louis vuitton, ray ban pas cher, converse pas cher, true religion outlet

Coach Factory said...

herve leger, soccer jerseys, uggs outlet, jimmy choo shoes, lululemon outlet, nfl jerseys, canada goose pas cher, vans outlet, soccer shoes, roshe run, valentino shoes, moncler, rolex watches, chi flat iron, uggs on sale, canada goose, north face outlet, ghd, new balance outlet, north face jackets, mcm handbags, ugg soldes, moncler, canada goose uk, mont blanc pens, beats headphones, canada goose outlet, celine handbags, instyler ionic styler, ferragamo shoes, ugg boots, bottega veneta, ugg, moncler outlet, abercrombie and fitch, ugg outlet, wedding dresses, mac cosmetics, birkin bag, reebok outlet, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, moncler, giuseppe zanotti, asics shoes, hollister, canada goose outlet, babyliss pro, marc jacobs outlet, p90x workout