Thursday, September 15, 2011

Unpublished Maxx sketchbook page, plus a Tribute sites Maxx art.



Just for fun here's some layouts from the first Darker Image story Maxx first appeared in. 


I was originally gonna put these in the 'Art of Sam Kieth' art book, but since there's so much unpublished Maxx crap lying around, these... (and tons of others) will instead will probably make their way into some giant 'Absolute Maxx' collection a some point down the road. 

In the meantime, Chris Ryall passed this along to me (Thanks Chris) -  I guess some art blog pays tribute to different indie comics each week. Last week was Locke & Key, this week is 'Maxx Week', so guys like David LaFuente and others there are doing a different Maxx tribute piece each day. 




Also...Yeah, comments, FINALLY, eh?  It's cool if people have their favs, like maxx, but thanks to all of you for also checking out the other art books, abstracts or just plain goofy non-super hero stuff I throw in here  too. 

Never sure how much studio details are interesting, or just like everyone else's studio crap. I guess every artists does it different, or has different habits, styles as to How they do what they do.   

... and yeah, I sometimes draw with my left hands. Mostly right. I talk about it a little in the first sketchbook. They are both good for different things.. and seem to look a little different too. Maybe it just seems like that to me. 

I'll post again this weekend. And don't feel obligated to always post a reply, sometimes there's just nothing much to comment on is there? Just do it if something strikes you. 

Wow, fans in Argentina too?  Awesome! 

- sam


11 comments:

Teyem said...

This is awesome I just put a video of me doing a sketch of The Maxx on my blog. I loved this comic and your art work.

cody said...

Pics of studio are always awesome cool to see what different artist use. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hello Sam, fell in love with The Maxx the first time I saw it on tv, have all the tpb and I buy everything you make. One of the thing I love the most about you is your page layouts, they are unique and amazing.

Been loving your diverse and constant output of new material in the last few years; Ojo, My Inner Bimbo, Arkham Asylum even Lobo wich was no my favourite story but the art was amazing and energic as always.

Cant wait to get 30 days of night in TPB, Sam Kieth on a monthly, awesome !

Your one of my favourite creator and its aways a pleasure when you post something here, studio insight, a doodle, an interview, I love it !

Take care, a fan from Quebec,Canada.

Leandro Javier said...

THE MAXX... is so RAW... shady..... thank x all bro! really! i cant write how i fell when consume the maxx! but it was a exelent experience for me.
=)
Argentina.

ryan ottley said...

GREAT to hear there WILL be a Maxx Hard Cover! Would be cool to see it at Image but I don't know the deal behind it all. So I don't really care who publishes it as long as I get one. Thanks for plugging the Sindicate, hope you dig the pieces up there!

Ryan

dj Paso said...

Tribute to the Maxx ! I have published an icon set some time ago. Here's the link

El Bastardo said...

There is no way I could fit all the positive comments I have about your work in this little space lol so I'll just say that I LOVE everything you've ever created. If I had the money I'd throw it at you and only ask that you keep doing what you're doing. Until then I'll keep buying everything of yours that I can. I've never seen artwork/stories that evoke so much raw, real emotion as yours. Keep up the great work!

Brian John Mitchell said...

Wait a minute, you talk about drawing with both hands & nobody but me is fascinated by it? Love to see a little video tutorial on using both hands.

VeganMike said...

Ooh comments! In that case, I can say it:

Thanks, Sam. I was 13 when The Maxx came onto MTV, and I've been buying up your work ever since. Through your comics and your responses to letter columns I've discovered a ton of art and culture that I was born a bit too late to experience when it was new, and watching your art develop over the years has given me lots of hope about me developing in my own career. I've seen so much wonderful depth in your work; I love the characters you create, the mix of realism and surrealism of both art and story, and the fact that you're actually creating art that doesn't look or read like any other comic on the shelves. Thanks for the blog, which is a wonderful window into your head. Keep writing, blogging, and painting and I'll be thrilled to keep following you everywhere you go.

JackalFive said...

When you say there will be an Ultimate Maxx book sometime down the road, do you mean like later this year? That would be awesome.

I had started reading Maxx around issue 20, and it's still my all-time favourite comic series. I can't count the number of times I've re-read it. I actually have plans of getting a tattoo w the Maxc (in some form or another) in the next year or so, so that Ultimate Maxx book would come in handy!

Thank you again for all your work, and for more recently sharing your work and process with your fans.

yoyoy said...

I don't know if this has been addressed, but I once heard that you were the only creator to actually finish his stories for darker Image 2-4. If this is true, any chance of seeing these in print this year with all the other awesome stuff IDW is bringing us? Thanks!!