Monday, March 26, 2012

Dana & Potbelly Action Figures???




GREAT NEWS: Looks like there'll be some TOYS of Dana, Potbelly, Magic Boxes, and maybe some other trout creations!  This is a big deal for me, as Toys are usually made for more  big franchised characters, my dorky stuff usually doesn't have a shot. 



But that's what's so cool, along comes Kim Fung Wong, who does those amazing looking Ashely Woods toys, and turns out he really likes my stuff!  In a world of large Corporations pumping out toys based on big hit movies… he would only do figures like this because he DIGS my goofy art, thinks they'd just be COOL looking.  That simple.  


So, because of cool guys like Kim, lucky folks like you and me get a shot at a a few collectable action figures. 


Kim could make tons of more profitable toys too with bigger companies. He's no reason to do this, accept for the fact he just has the faith that whatever we come up with, might make really COOL figure.  That simple! 


Sometimes it's nice a lone person can cut through the corporate crap and just do things to please himself, eh? 


Kinda of interesting... trying to wrap my head around a figure in 3D again, like with Batman or Maxx figures.  Were starting with Potbelly, partly because almost everything i DRAW has a pot belly, and then move to Dana next. 


If you think about it, i've been drawing big bellies from way back, like this old page in Epicurus, so while the idea of big bellied monster may seem an odd choice, it's second nature to me. 


This also gives me a chance to re-tool some old ideas i had before. I went back and forth when i first drew Dana's boxes.. part of me wanted to make them living creatures, another liked them being inanimate objects she just collected in the real world. 


I still went back and forth, one legged, two legged? hopping? walking? Dana riding it like on horseback? 


These quick scribbled above were as far as i got.. 


But, i still didn't know: Living moving Box? Or ordinary non-moving box? Because i've spent so long drawing and designing the Boxes i built, i was stuck on the idea that they HAD to look exactly the real life version i built, which was stupid, because though those were built from MY drawings in the first place. I got literally too attached to them looking so real. 


Kim said he liked the slightly more cartoony version of the Box on the Bimbo cover. I was disappointed at first, because i was still stuck on the box looking as real as possible. But then i realized, it's actually flattering he liked the box on that cover, but cause it's kinda of funky and hand drawn looking.  I still like both: the super detailed vs. more cartoony versions of my boxes. 


What i'm getting at is, i am subconsciously kept drawing the boxed with one leg (hopping) or two legs (walking, duh!) ... because in the back of my mind there WERE already 'alive'. People like things that move, breath, have motion. personality! 


So it's because of the toy, which will move and have articulated joints, that i returned to what i wanted in the first place, a moving living box. 

One of the cool things is seeing how a action figure evolves, and why. 

So while designing pot belly, Dana's box is rolling around in the back of my mind too. 



Lot to absorb this post, eh? Toys take time, so it will be at least a year or so for all this to unfold. But might be cool for YOU guys to help give me feed back and watch this stuff grow along side the comics and art books that these characters all show up in too, 






14 comments:

nilskidoo said...

Looks and reads to be a fun new venture for you Sam. And another way for the masses to be infected by the good stuff from your cranium!
Don't be so hard on yourself though. Self-defamation from you makes your LEGIONS of fans wanna cry. Don't make us cry.

Marcus Collar said...

Batman (new 52) issue #7 features the Sam Kieth Batman Black and White statue (says MArch 2012) under it might be an old add
BUT FIRST I HAVE SEEN IT

looks great among the new DC direct stuff

do you get a percentage? should we all get one folks?

and as far as Pot bellies I was thinking of an actual belly of MArijuana hehee cough cough

M

Marcus Collar said...

I do want to clarify it was the first time I have seen the actual ad.

I loved your entry a while back talking about the statues development and preliminary work!

Tell Way$hak to got the Big Wow comicfest in May!

jlosacco said...

This sounds really exciting. I love when your characters are represented in the 3D world. I'm looking forward to picking them up.

Kim Fung Wong is an amazing designer, I'm sure they'll be great.

nilskidoo said...

I actually just heard a rather sad story from the great Sandy Plunkett about how Bowen designs completely ripped off an old old old Scarlet Witch pinup of his for a mini-statue a few years back. He never saw a penny. It's good to see there's some energizing, positively skilled artists also in the biz of bringing 2d to the 3d.

jennifer kraska said...

Super cool Sam! Very much interested in watching the process unfold on the blog here. Hard to deny that it's cool to see 2d turn into 3d. I design cars to pay the bills and I never get tired of interacted with the real thing! Congrats!

Roman said...

I quit reading comic books a few years ago - not anyone(thing) in particular, just didn't like where the whole scene was at. Recently decided to do some checking up on my favorite artists and boy am I loving this blog! Had only seen the old SamKieth.com site and really really enjoy seeing all the process images and getting your unique input on your creative process unhindered by anyone else. You've definitely changed, I remember the old Marvel covers and of course the name-sake of the mid-90's cartoon I happen to be finally enjoying on DVD. Can't wait to get something new to stick up next to the Legs statue sitting proudly on the balcony in my home, keep up the art (like you need my encouragement heh) and keeping growing. It was hard for me to see what you had written about The Maxx and not drawing, not writing him - moving on and doing something new and original. That was before I dug in and checked out this Blog and realized - I'm not the kid that read those comics anymore either, you were right. The new direction is challenging and I respect the hell out of that, reminds me a lot of Basil Gogos' work as he has matured. So to close, a humble thank you from someone who has learned and experienced the world in a whole different way through your art over the last 20+ years and continues to not only enjoy your art but grow through it.

Frank Patriot said...

Was the cover of Potbelly sitting in a chair looking at the magic box thingy, kinda based on the image of the old fat naked guy sitting in an office chair in front of a computer? Google 'old fat guy chair' and you'll see what I'm talking about. I immediately thought of that when i saw your piece.

JMAN said...

I'm excited for you Sam, and I'm excited to see what you come up with! Looks like it should be SMASHING!

Fernando Valencia said...

I just think it's funny to hear Sam talk about his "box". Hee Hee. I'm still giggling. Just picked up the Batman statue. A little smaller then I thought but it's still beautiful!

Mr Ewok One said...

What I enjoy most about you sam and your work, is that youre a righty who creates with the mind of a lefty....

anyone ever said this to you?



Keep rockin Sam...

cody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cody said...

So rad, will it be thru 3A. I like the box idea.

Coach Factory said...

kate spade handbags, prada outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet online, burberry outlet online, burberry outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet, gucci handbags, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet online, nike shoes, louboutin shoes, red bottom shoes, coach outlet store online, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley vault, coach outlet, prada handbags, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, ray ban outlet, nike free, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, true religion, ray ban sunglasses