Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spectrum Awards, two Monstrous faces and the guts to fail.



Speaking of sculptors like Kim Fung Wong, another amazing sculptor, Jonathan Mathews... is the dude who did such a kick-ass job on that Batman figure for DC.  My old pal Shawn Knapp gave me the heads up that Jon entered a color version of that Bats figure in the Spectrum Awards and, Jon's version of the Batman figure was a Finalist in that Spectrum thingy! Kinda cool for Jon especially as he did most of the heavy lifting, clay wise.

So Congrats to Jon!




Above i did a few randomly doodled brush strokes ... and it sorta evolved into an eye, then morphed into a nose, and i guess... almost some abstract looking...teeth? Not really sure.



The only goal here was... could i try to focus attention to the eye, and stay light on everything else? In other words NOT pile on tons of extraneous detail for details sake? Get blurrier towards the edges?


The modest little idea was... could more be less? could it seem like a weird little face peaking out of an otherwise empty page? Maybe it works, maybe not. But was cool to at least try.

***

Meanwhile, on another sketchbook page...


here's another one i almost tore up.  I did this asian woman's face,  but it just seemed like a million other asian women i've done before. Like if i don't watch out i'll turn into a watered down version of David Mack or something! (kidding, i actually love Dave's stuff).



But seriously.... i wanted to see if i couldn't 'deconstruct' it in a way... (some might say ruin it?) ... by doing a rough ink gesture painting... over her face. Fast. Furious. Almost accidental.  Or 'setting it free' even.  But in some deliberately 'ugly' way.



Almost like a blurred photograph? Catching some motion...



Now, to that end, i did actually may have failed, but at least now i don't want to rip it up. I'm curious how it strikes everyone else though.

I just keep trying to draw my way out of my own problems.  My own bad habits. That's why i keep writing notes to myself in the pages.  Trying to wake myself up.  Hoping i can break through to something ELSE... something that doesn't look like my usual stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with my 'usual', whatever that is..

But NEW or different, can be nice too.


Even though it may seem pretentious... the *trying* feels important to me to do. Failing is cool. A producer friend of mine once cringed when i said in an interview i have 'no talent as a film director', and i sighed and told him, well, i have no talent drawing, painting or story telling either.  But i kept failing at all *that* crap, and that's never stopped me either. So, great or talentless.. i may as well CHILL, relax, and just enjoy... whatever i the hell it is i DO do,

And be humble and thankful there's *other* folks out there... just as crazy as me, who also like it! : )







 


5 comments:

ant said...

fist i better say you are my favorite artist in the world, however you asked for opinions on the asian lady, and i'll tell ya i don't like it, there is some nice stuff going on with the hair, but the black on her face totally ruins it, just my opinion, but like you said gotta try and do something different sometimes, and yeah we all fail sometimes, it happens, you are still the best though, can't wait for more trout stuff, i kinda want to build my own magic box, would that be okay? and sorry, but i have to ask again, are we going to get to see the ojo movie anytime soon, i think about it all the time...

juvinwo said...

Love the face. It's not too complex at all and the eye totally is the center of the piece. It really stands out of the page. Eerie and creepy indeed! Love it Sam! Keep up the amazing work. I'm getting a piece of your art for my birthday (april 3rd) from Albert Moy soon. Can't wait!! I also have an original piece of yours from wolverine/hulk issues #3!! Amazing colors on it.

Christina Bryant said...

As a fan who has enjoyed your work for many years because it has a vibrant energy and fearlessness, breaks a lot of the rules, and is an inspiring process to witness I'm just overjoyed that you keep showing up to your process (because it is stunning) and I'm ecstatic I just recently found your blog that so generously shares that process.

As for the first face - I really love the textures you created, I enjoy how the white cuts off the ink and the premise. As for emerging from the page itself, I wonder if you might need to blur out the details even more, especially around the nose, to make that eye really shoot out.

As for the Asian woman, I find your mention of a blurry photograph really intriguing and I think the black around the nose and mouth does really suggest that. She feels like a memory.

cody said...

like the girl especially her nose and chin it looks like she turned her head during a photo. By the way I love the cover of your art book with pot belly painting on it
it is realy amazing.
Thats awesome about the spectrum award, the books are cool too see so many artists famous and not get exposure in one book. Can't wait for your update on your art book.

Sam Kieth said...

Thanks Ant, I can totally see what you mean about the asian lady. That's why i through the question out there. I can see both sides.

Far as building your own Magic Box, go for it! The Trout boxes she be like Lovecraft and how he'd invited other writes to write stories using his universe. DIY boxes would be awesome, i'll throw pics up on the blog id you want!

Only thing a box needs is a 1. toilet seat, 2. the box itself, 3. some form of keyboard or vintage typewriter keys. 4 Graffiti is nice too. (Moss is optional.)

Juvinwo, Glad your digging it, even the eerie bits too. Thanks for checking out the original art, been too long since i threw any art up. This month i'll throw some pieces up for sale, maybe that Mars cover? Well see.

Christina B, Thanks for checking in. Yeah, the process never seems to get old, does it? I guess because everybody, including me, likes to watch someone draw something out of thin air. Sometimes it's a flower, sometimes a cow paddy.

But like you say, until we try, we'll never know. I never thought about those black lines on the asian woman's face... they do sorta feel like 'noise' don't they? Thanks!

cody, where would i be without you? doubt about half my posts, eh? Thanks for the cool attaboys. Plans for vol. 1 on the art book are for October. But i'll have more info in the next couple of weeks!

- sam