Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Painting: "Blossoms, Leather and Cloth"

PODCAST- Sam Kieth sketchbook - EPISODE 123 


Here's a cool podcast with Jason over at 11O'Clock Comics talking about the sketchbooks i did last year ( and other things I've done too ). The whole show's not about my stuff, but there's other cool things they talk about too. But it gives a nice overview of the sketchbooks though.. Kinda worth a listen. 

There's some chatter, but the stuff about me starts around 16:00 minutes in, - and if your out there reading this - thanks for the kind words guys! Sorry i missed it when it came out, but then I was pretty reclusive and hard to reach back then.  

Okay, back to some goofy pictures... 





Here's an interesting idea.  i found an old piece of leather I bought at a yard sale for a few bucks.


I'm sorry I forgot to take more  process pics of this one, i did take a quick pic before and after i 'aged' it and stained it.

Paintings usually spring out so fast if i don't have the camera plugged in and sitting there, I sometimes forget to record it. So after I stained it ochre...



Then i literally carve into the leather a little square 'vase' shape into the middle.

I added some glitter, glue and the leather took watercolor and ink stamp pads and acrylic which worked pretty well on the surface.


A matt fixative will make sure it all stays there too. These photos are a little garish, but it's much subtler in person.. i guess i could have desaturated the pics, but i try not to manipulate the process pics too much.

Friends have told me they like the raw personal feeling of photos of my art at random angles. It seems less sterile than a straight on formal angel, what do you think?


Then I pasted the leather onto one of my sketchbooks. It will be weird if somebody wants to by a piece of art in one of the sketchbooks, i guess they will have to buy the whole book, won't they? I'd hate to break it up, but i can't imagine somebody wanting everything I put in one of these books.


It glued a strip of old fabric to the left border of it, mostly because the leather was too narrow to fit on the sketchbook cover, but i think the color compliments the leather pretty nicely.




..modest aren't i?

-----

Here's something *new* we can try... instead of all the process photos strung together, why not show another way it happens.


Sometimes i don't finish a painting all in one sitting.  In this case i started a light pencil of Dana on a tree stump yesterday, but decided to set it aside for now. Other deadlines call.


I'll come back to it, and do a little on it each day, then post it in little bits, then once it's finished i'll throw up all the process pics together (if anybody wants a reminder)...


..don't worry, it's pretty light now,

but trust me... it'll really come to life once the washes are added.