Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mystery cover.. and MCP 90.



Okay, it's not a friday post, but i had to throw this one up just for fun. I haven't a CLUE what this is a cover too...


it's not a Marvel Comics Presents cover, but i remember it was published by marvel DID publish it at some point during that time period. The girls face is a little awkward, but most of my women's faces tend towards that pinched look.


Here's the rough sketch for it too... weirdly i eve kept that. So can anyone know WHAT comic it's  the cover too???????

_____



This one you may remember.. notice how the white out shows up in this first down shot?


..yup...


...yet another ubber-detailed MPC cover.


The classic 'vines' one...M.C.P. 90.


For some reason, a ton of  collectors inquire about buying this one.


it's weird because the vines are the most impressive part, not wolvie or the girl. But if i drew Vines without a super hero.. it's suddenly not collectable.

I understand why, be cause i was a fan too.  Still am. But it's also so puzzling once you grow up, isn't it? Our obsession with popular super hero characters being the most prized.


  I guess it's whatever you grew up reading... when you look back, it suddenly seems special, eh?  This and issue and MCP 86 are probably my two favorites.  dunno why. It's not the detail.

I guess this one is because it seems like such an non-obvious super hero cover. peaceful almost. Can't believe i got away with it.

Okay, this is getting stupid, only so many angels i can photograph it from, eh?  Enough nostalgia crap already... back to my usual weird ass paintings for the next post!

- sam 

7 comments:

Georgia said...

I think that's what I always loved about this cover of yours, the 'peaceful' aspect. A rare quiet, reflective moment in the life of Wolverine. It's really lovely :)

Anthony said...

Wolverine: Save the Tiger #1, which seems to collect a bunch of Marvel Comics Presents issues:
http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=57005

Tyler said...

Anthony beat them to it, but some particularly industrious Isz managed to find the mystery comic hidden in my collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tylersticka/6479782429/

adrian said...

Hey Sam, I always wanted to ask you about it.

Remember INSIDE COMICS #2 from July 1992 (wolverine/venom cover). Inside, on page 9-12 is an interview with You and Alan Grant. As is clear from this interview you and Alan were making story where "Wolverine will be fighting Venom in South America. He and Jubilee will do some sort of South America explorations and Venom will apear, and there will be somebody behind the scenes trying to kidnap Jubilee..."
So how did it happen that the story was eventually made by Howard Mackie and the story hadn't included Jubilee (my english stinks I know). The only common thing was the jungle, Wolverine and Venom.
I look forward to hearing from Ya :)

Sam_Kieth said...

Thanks Georgia.. yeah, i guess peaceful quiet moments CAN have a place in dopey sam kieth super hero stories too. : )

Anthony you *nailed* it dude! Thanks for the link ( and another even better pic from Tyler) All i remember is being disappointed with the coloring on it, but color was pretty hit and miss back then.

So it's a reprint. No wonder so few fans saw it..

Adrian, far as that story goes.. i think i was 'co-plotting' (read:bugging him with dorky suggestions?) so much so... that Alan Grant graciously bowed out and Howard stepped in. I still wish Alan would have wrote it. He's a great writer!

This was just before the maxx, so i was stretching my wings, trying to be more involved in the stories by this time ..

Thanks gang!

cody said...

I think people value this art more because its away to get something from past that has a sentimental value like when rich people buy toys that they couldn't have as a kid. Or cuz its rad or an investment. There aren't too many wolverine covers that you did are out there.

Marcus Collar said...

I remember buying, and still own the MCP stuff they transcended genres like the MAxx did years later. I Know Sam didn't write the MCP stuff but the hot rod race and the scenes leadin up to it were very I before E which I know was mentioned on the blog before by one of the regulars.

I love the paper airplane that breaks the window too !